Barefoot at the farmers market

a carefree barefoot lifestyle in paradise hawaii

by sharleen wl

i wake up this morning as the sun shines through my bedroom window and i hear the birds chirping. its satrurday and i don't have to work. i've been wanting to go to our town's farmers market which i don't get to do very often and today seems like a perfect day. so i walk to the bathroom to quickly brush my teeth and wash my face. i don't even comb or brush my hair cuz hey, its the weekend and i kinda like the messy hair look.

after putting on a pair of shorts, a crop top and my nerdy glasses i step out of my apartment. barefoot of course. yep, messy hair, nerdy glasses and bare feet. what a great combination lol. there's a lot of big trees in my apartment complex and alot of birds which i enjoy watching. with that many birds there's quite a bit of shit on the ground which i likely step on but i don't really care. its all part of being in nature and living the barefoot lifestyle.

its a sunny day and the warmth of the concrete under my bare feet feels invigorating as i step onto the bustling streets. i enjoy going barefoot cuz i love the natural connection between my soles and the ground. i feel more grounded, more in touch with the world. i can't help but smile as i stroll towards the farmers market. but first things first. i need some coffee. so i make my way to my favorite cozy café.

the outdoor seating area, adorned with wooden tables and chairs calls out to me. so i slip into a chair and put my dirty bare feet on another. an older couple sitting at the next table glance at my feet and give me a stink eye (hawaiian slang for dirty look) almost like saying "don't you have any manners?" but i don't give a fuck. i playfully smile at them and they look away. the warm wooden chair feels so comfortable. the server who knows me quite well is amused to see me. he chuckles as he says "hey good morning miss sharleen, you seem to be enjoying yourself. what can i get for you?" i decide on a cup of latte and a donut.

as i'm sipping my coffee and savoring the delicious donut a family with 3 kids walk in. the kids, a boy and 2 girls like ages 6 to 10 are all barefoot. they giggle as they pass in front of me and look at my feet. i smile and wave at them. ya, we're kindred spirits.

the sun bathes the farmers market in a warm golden glow as i make my way through the bustling stalls, my bare feet connecting with the various textures beneath. the vendors are warm and friendly as they greet me with a smile offering me to stop by and check out their fresh produce or sample the food.

my first stop is the fruit section where vibrant displays of ripe pineapples, guavas, and plump berries tempt my senses. i step onto a patch of cool damp grass between the stalls, relishing the natural sensations beneath my feet. the earthy aroma of fresh fruits mingled with the scent of the soil creates a symphony of sensations that heightens my appreciation for my barefoot escapade.

a friendly elderly farmer notices that i'm not wearing anything on my feet. he chuckles and says, "well now, ain't you a breath of fresh air. i reckon the earth feels different under your feet, doesn't it?"

i grin, nodding in agreement and am like, "absolutely! its like a little adventure with every step. life's too short for shoes, don't you think?" i playfully add.

"hahaha! you're living life to the fullest, aren't you?" he replies with excitement. he then hands me a big piece of ripe pineapple, insisting i try it. i thank him and bite into the succulent fruit, its sweet juice dribbling down my chin and forearm. i giggle and the farmer laughs probably amused by my carefree spirit. i decide to buy some cut-up pineapple cuz i'm too lazy to do it myself. i then continue my barefoot journey through the market.

next i approached the flower stalls where a riot of colors and fragrances from the tropical flowers surround me. as i stand on the soft petals strewn across the ground, the floral scents envelop me, enhancing the joy of the experience. there's life music playing and i just can't resist. i twirl and dance between the flower stalls, creating a whimsical spectacle that drew the attention of market-goers and vendors alike. a young couple, their arms laden with bouquets approach me with curious smiles. "looks like your having a great time!" the woman remarks.

"its just my way of staying grounded in this fast-paced world," i reply and chuckle. "and flowers just seem happier when you can feel them with your feet." now its their turn to laugh.

before i know it its lunch time so i head towards the food stalls. the diverse scents wafting through the air guides me to a variety of culinary delights. i decide to get a plate of fried chicken wings with fried noodles and vegies. believe it or not they run out of forks. they offer me chopsticks but i decline cuz despite being half asian i can't use chopsticks very well. i prefer to eat with my hands. that's right, my bare hands! this is actually quite common in certain asian countries. the food tastes more flavorful that way. since there's no water to wash my hands i just lick my fingers after i finish eating. the slogan "finger lickin' good" literally applies here lol.

as the day unfolds i leave the market with a basket filled with fresh produce and a heart full of shared laughter and camaraderie. surprisingly there weren't very many other barefooters at the farmers market. i only saw a young guy and an older man like in his 50's walk around sans shoes. in my early days as a barefooter i would find comfort seeing other people barefoot in public. now i don't really care. but don't get me wrong, i'm always happy to see kindred spirits.

on my way home i come across a quirky accessories store, and the eclectic mix of trinkets and jewelry catches my eye. i can't resist trying on a variety of rings and bracelets, relishing the sensation of each piece against my skin. they even have some toe rings and ankle bracelets which i love cuz they complement bare feet. so i pick up a toe ring and an ankle bracelet to add to my collection.

as i get back to my apartment i check my soles as usual to see how grimy they are and i giggle with amusement. it never gets old no matter how long i've been a barefooter. the grounds of the farmers market were pretty dirty with all kinds of shit on them especially in the food area.

my experience today is an example of how going barefoot can turn an ordinary day into a remarkable adventure. an escapade if you would. in other words going barefoot is magical!

from paradise hawaii this is sharleen reminding you that life is magical. yes especially when you spend your entire day barefoot. so until next time...

enjoy going barefoot and have a magical day!

Comments