Why do you go barefoot?

by sharleen wl

a while ago someone asked a question on the reddit barefoot sub: "why do you go barefoot?" the following was my answer:

"i love the feeling of walking barefoot on different surfaces. from soft dirt and mud squishing between my toes to grass covered in morning dew to the cool floors of a supermarket on a warm summer day. it also allows me to better connect with nature and the world around me.

going barefoot also gives me the sense of freedom of not having my feet cooped up in restrictive socks and shoes which make them hot and sweaty.

ngl, in my case there's also the rebellious factor. i'm a free spirit who enjoys breaking norms, and going barefoot and getting my feet all dirty is one way to do it."


now let me elaborate on this a little.

my love for going barefoot began when i was just a toddler and refused to keep my shoes on no matter how hard my parents (especially my mom) tried which drove them nuts. i would often get yelled at and sometimes even spanked for it. but that never made me like shoes or socks lol.

as i grew older my passion for going barefoot only grew stronger and my mom eventually relented. before i started to go barefoot in public i would often wander around my backyard in bare feet, exploring the world around me one step at a time. i loved the feeling of freedom and there was something special about the sensation of the ground against the skin of my soles that made me feel alive.

we lived in a small town surrounded by fields and wooded areas which i started to explore once i felt comfortable being barefoot in my backyard. every day i would wander through the woods, my bare feet touching the soft earth and the cool rocks. i also loved the feel of the sun on my face and the wind in my hair. all of that brought me closer to nature.

eventually i became confident enough to walk around barefoot where there's alot of people like grocery stores, malls, and even restaurants.

initially my family and friends expressed their concerns about the potential hazards of going barefoot like stepping on sharp objects, getting diseases or even looking "improper" but i disregarded them. i've developed a keen sense of balance and can navigate even the most uneven surfaces with ease. my feet have also become stronger and i'm able to walk longer distances sans footwear without experiencing discomfort. yes, my feet have gotten cut from stepping on broken glasses and splinters a few times but its no biggie. i was always able to take care of it myself without having to see a doctor. at most i would refrain from barefooting for a couple of days to let it heal (i would just wear flip flops but never shoes). i've always been healthy in general.

i've become known as the barefoot girl. even today my friends and relatives would sometimes tease me about it, saying that its gross or weird. but i don't give a fuck. i just smile and sometimes make faces at them lol. i'm determined to enjoy life on my own terms as long as i don't hurt anyone and that includes walking around barefoot pretty much everywhere.

i'm a free spirited girl who loves nothing more than feeling the earth beneath my feet. i'm always barefoot whenever i can no matter the weather or occasion and i don't care if my feet get dirty. occasionally people would stare at me and some would even make rude comments but again, i don't give a fuck. i never let their judgment get to me or prevent me from enjoying life. being free-spirited has it's challenges but its definitely worth it. the joys of going barefoot simply outweighs any discomfort i might face.

my love for going barefoot is not just a personal preference or just a phase like some people think; its a lifestyle. being barefoot allows me to connect myself more deeply to the world around me and appreciate the natural beauty of my surroundings. whether i'm walking on a beach, hiking through the woods or simply strolling through the city, i always feel more connected to nature and the earth when i'm barefoot.

sometimes it takes just one person to inspire others to try something new and different just like my big sister tania inspired me to start exploring the world barefoot, for which i'm grateful. while some people may scoff, others may get inspired and try to do it themselves. so if you have never gone barefoot before (especially in public), i encourage you to try it.

from paradise hawaii this is sharleen reminding you that life is magical, especially when your barefoot. so...

aloha and have a magical day!

Comments