Featured Post
Hi everyone, this is Sharleen. How's it going? Are you still barefoot or is it too cold already where you live? I'm lucky to live in Hawaii where I can go barefoot all year. Well, spooky season is upon us once again. Over the years I've written a few barefoot Halloween stories (yeah, barefooting and Halloween are a couple of things I really love), and I thought I would compile them on this page so it would be easier for you to find them. Most of them are posted in my other blog (the scary stories blog ). So I'll just briefly describe and link them here. Barefoot witch Click here to see more witch costumes The first one is about when I went trick-or-treating barefoot when I was 12 years old. I was dressed as Little Red Riding Hood who is often depicted barefoot. I did quite a bit of walking that night, so by the time I got home my feet were filthy. But I also saw something that kinda spooked me at one of the houses in the neighborhood. This story is kid friendl...
Barefoot in Germany
a barefooter from germany wrote the following in my guestbook:
I'm a barefooter from germany and try to live without shoes at least half of the year. Usually I start in april and walk on bare soles till end of september. At work I have to wear shoes, but flip flops are ok. The rest of the time I'm barefoot without any break in this six months. I prefer to go barefoot in the city and love to harden my soles by walking on rough surfaces like asphalt or gravel. The dirtier a street, the better for walking barefoot. So usually my soles are grey and sometimes black. I enjoy very much to be barefoot in public, particularly when all the other people are wearing shoes. It's great to show them my bare, dirty feet.
pretty cool huh? again it shows that there are people who love going barefoot in many different countries.
are you from germany? is it common to see barefooters there? please share your experiences going barefoot even if you're not from germany :)
This week's most popular posts
it has been quite stormy in hawaii lately, but did it slow down this free-spirited barefoot girl? not at all. quite the contrary, she found it exciting to walk around sans footwear in the rain and flooded streets. by sharleen wl it was a dark and stormy night. i just love that phrase which is usually the opening line of a spooky story. this isn't a scary post, but the line still fits because if you've been following the news you probably know that hawaii has been hit by major storms recently which brought heavy rain, flooding, power outages, and disrupted the tourism industry. even my apartment complex got flooded, but luckily i live on the second floor, so i'm good. the restaurant where i work was closed for a few days due to flooding and power outages. i always like to look on the bright side for it makes me happier. in this case it was that i got a few extra days off from work. but above all, it was a great time to go barefoot! yeah, walking barefoot in the flooded s...
Hi everyone, this is Sharleen. How's it going? Are you still barefoot or is it too cold already where you live? I'm lucky to live in Hawaii where I can go barefoot all year. Well, spooky season is upon us once again. Over the years I've written a few barefoot Halloween stories (yeah, barefooting and Halloween are a couple of things I really love), and I thought I would compile them on this page so it would be easier for you to find them. Most of them are posted in my other blog (the scary stories blog ). So I'll just briefly describe and link them here. Barefoot witch Click here to see more witch costumes The first one is about when I went trick-or-treating barefoot when I was 12 years old. I was dressed as Little Red Riding Hood who is often depicted barefoot. I did quite a bit of walking that night, so by the time I got home my feet were filthy. But I also saw something that kinda spooked me at one of the houses in the neighborhood. This story is kid friendl...
A barefoot girl story by Sharleen WL I just started college a few months ago and so far I'm loving it. There is so much more freedom than in high school and not the least is the ability to go to school barefoot. This article is an account of a typical Monday. Unlike many people, I love Mondays coz to me its the start of a brand new week full of opportunities, a new chapter in my book of life ready to be filled with exciting experiences and adventures. Its 7am and I wake up feeling refreshed after a good night's sleep. Actually I'm having a bad cold, so my nose is pretty stuffy but I feel rested nontheless and excited about the day ahead. After washing up and everything, I walk over to the game room to join the family for our morning meditation. Its dad's idea to meditate together every morning and everyone loves it. The only religious person in our family in mom who is Catholic. Dad is kinda new-agey, and all my siblings and I are atheists. But we all feel the ...
by Jonathan and Sharleen (updated in June 2026 - right in time for Summerween! ) Barefoot cave woman Get this costume now! Have you ever worn a barefoot Halloween costume? By that I mean a costume that can or should be worn barefooted. For instance, if you dress as Tarzan or a Hobbit you would not wear anything on your feet. Shoes that look like bare feet don't count. Well, I have gone barefoot on Halloween as a pirate, Tarzan/jungle man, and Tom Sawyer, and I had a blast. So the question is, where can you go barefoot on Halloween night? How about trick-or-treating? Yeah, if you're still at the right age for it or you have kids of your own, you certainly want to give it a serious thought as it's really fun to go out barefoot on Halloween. You can also attend a party wearing a barefoot costume at someone's home or a public place. Some establishments may make an exception to their "no bare feet" policy for Halloween, especially if it's a private pa...
a barefoot girl's story going shopping with her strict religious mom by sharleen wl hi everyone, how's it going? this is a rather long post but a pretty fun story. so i want you to get comfortable. get your favorite drink, maybe play some soft music, be barefooted (if you aren't already), take off all your clo... oops, i'm getting carried away. i mean, you don't have to do that. unless your like me of course, lol. anyway, relax and enjoy! my dad is away on a business trip and my mom is home alone. so yesterday she called me and asked if i would wanna go shopping at the mall with her today (saturday). i love shopping so i said sure. she knows that i'm a barefooter and has kinda accepted the fact, so going barefoot to the mall with her shouldn't be an issue. i wake up a little earlier this morning cuz i wanna eat breakfast before going shopping. need the extra energy. the temperature this morning is 61 F which is cold for hawaii. i slept with my windows clos...
Girl barefoot at school story Going barefoot to/at school is quite common in some countries like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and India (see the picture at the bottom of the post). It was also quite prevalent in the US in the old days. A few elementary schools in Hawaii still allow their students to attend school in bare feet. Unfortunately however, most kids today are denied this wonderful experience. So can you blame them for cherishing every chance they've got to go barefoot at school even if only for a brief moment? My little sister Sharleen (nicknamed Lynn) and I went to a private elementary school with a rather strict dress code. We had to wear uniform everyday that included a tie and white closed shoes. White socks had to be worn at all times in the beginning. Being an avid barefooter, I always wanted to be barefoot as much as possible. So I would usually take off my tie along with my shoes and socks on the (city) bus, and walk barefoot home from the bus stop...
Disclosure
As an Amazon Associate, the owner of this blog earns from qualifying purchases with no additional cost to you.
Check out our other blogs
HI! I just finished reading You Walk Wrong and found your website via personal sleuthing on google for more barefoot people. I've been a big flip flop girl for years--at work, etc--and barefoot in my personal time everywhere else. I always knew there was a reason I hated shoes. THEY'RE BAD FOR YOU!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, mostly wanted to just peek in and say hi and that I look forward to reading your blog in future :)
Hey, it's interesting to find your blog. I do a lot of barefoot hiking in the summer myself. It really is the best way to experience nature, it seems to me.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to check in with you from time to time. :)
I'm moving to Berlin this Autumn, however last summer me and my darling was there to visit our Berliner friend and I tried to get into a few shopping malls with bare feet. I remember at least 2 times being stopped and told to put on some shoes.
ReplyDeleteMy German friend translated from what the guard had said:
"If you get hurt the store will be held responsible, and what about the hygienic aspects?"
I did put on some flip flops I had brought and continued walking, but was shocked.
Hygiene? Are my feet that dirty? I wash them, I have no warts and I watch where I walk while being barefoot.
On the contrary, I barely ever care to look at the soles at my shoes, they've been everywhere I wouldn't allow my own feet to step on; cigarettes from people who don't know how to find the trashcan, spit, one occasional turd and lots of more. If I'm barefeet, I don't step on suspicious looking stains or spots, but with shoes I don't care.
So if he meant my poor feet would get dirty from their unhygienic store then thank you very much for caring. But if he actually meant my feet would be dirtier than other peoples old shoes, shame on him. ^__^
I'm a barefoot runner from germany, and I too would enjoy going barefoot whenever temperatures allow it.
ReplyDeleteBut it so happens that the people around here are not the most open-minded and most people would find it offensive if I walked around barefoot in public.
I already received a few pretty rude comments from people when I was running barefoot ("What are you? Homeless?", "Get some shoes on you dirty hippy!" etc.), but I refuse to wear shoes for running anymore, they cause too many problems and are too uncomfortable.
So I'm only a part-time barefooter. At all times when I'm not running I simply wear shoes by Terra Plana. It does not feel as good as the real thing, but at least the sole has no raised heel and my toes have a lot of room to wriggle and spread, so it's okay.
I'm this german barefooter. When I wrote this comment I was barefoot half of the year. Now I try to become a full time barefooter.
ReplyDeleteI live in USA Unfortunately Americans don't like going barefoot It is Starting to change somewhat About going barefoot I A guy who love To go barefoot Go food shopping In my bare feet Small convenience stores And hiking in the woods in your bare feet is awesome Yes I get plenty of crazy looks being barefoot people see my dirty feetBut they don't understand like you the benefits of barefoot I would love to visit Germany someday Enjoy Going barefootYes I'm like you I guess I love To feel the ground Yes my Bare feet get Dirty but Like you say I don't care what people think When I'm barefoot I'm glad there are people out there like me who love going barefootTake care my friend
ReplyDeleteLike you my German friend I'm a barefoot Lover myself hate shoes unfortunately I've Live in America and people don't like going barefootIt is Starting to change somewhat More people are gonna barefoot But most Americans love shoes when I go barefoot like you I get dirty looks maybe not in your country But in America they see my Dirty feet get the strange look I Go food shopping barefoot Small convenience stores Cut the grass barefoot is awesome no back pain also my favorite time is hiking barefoot in the woods glad to see you like me the love Of going barefoot is awesomeI'm glad There People like you and me who love going in our Bare feet take Care my German friend my name is Chris
ReplyDelete